Friday, June 19, 2009

Abbie



June 19-25 2009

We've only had Joey for a couple days, but we just had to bring Abbie home too.

She is a gorgeous girl. About a year old. She was brought in as a stray, but this girl has been loved before.
She knows basic commands, loves to play ball, and appears to be housebroken.

I'm so glad that we got to bring her home! I have no doubt that she will find a wonderful home soon.
* * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * *

So... funny story...

There was a bit of commotion in the kitchen, then running out through the dog door, then a bit of tussling outside.

Wade and I were otherwise occupied, so didn't pay much attention to it, because there were no angry sounds.

A little while later, we notice that Abbie has reddish stuff on her paws. I say "is that mud?" Wade says " is that blood??" is it poo?

What can I do? I smell it.

It's pizza.

Upon further inspection, Amikah has pizza sauce on her shoulder, Joey looks guilty, and Ginger's breath is slightly pepperoni-ish.

They had snagged almost an entire pizza off the counter and shared it outside. No traces left.

******************************

Update, 6-24-09

Abbie is AMAZING. I don't know her back story, because she was brought in as a stray, but I cannot even begin to imagine someone dumping a dog like this, or not looking for her if she was lost.

There is no way I can adequately describe how amazing she is, but I will try.
I think she's about 1 1/2 years old. She knows ALL basic commands (including shake and heel).
She walks on leash like a dream.
We haven't had her off leash yet, but I bet she would do great.

She goes right to bed when told to, though she looks at me with her gorgeous eyes, just waiting for the word. If I say "ok, up" she will exuberantly jump up onto my bed, and take up her place at the foot like she belongs there.

She is incredibly loving, yet not clingy. She is attached to Wade, and will follow him around, and he has taken her to work with him a couple times. She loves that, and charms all the guys at the shop.

She loves to play ball, and she LOVES the water. We have a kiddie pool and she would live in that all day if she could. LOL. I can't wait to take her to the lake.
Wade and I had our flat bottomed fishing boat out in the backyard, cleaning it out getting ready for the weekend, and Wade said "In the boat, Abbie!" and she jumped right in and sat down, all ready to go fishing. LOL.

She has got the greatest personality, and I love her to pieces.

6-25-09
Abbie got adopted! I met her new family, and I think she is a perfect dog for them. They spent the day with her and love her! They've told me that they would send me updates on her, and pictures, so I will post then here when I get them. I'm so happy for her. She's got kids to play with, and a whole life of love ahead of her. *happy tears*


Abbie Update! 7-3-09

I got an E-mail from Abbie's new family, complete with pictures! It is so awesome to see and hear how she is doing. She is most definitely loved.
They said I could share, so here are some excerpts from her letter and one of the photos:

***********

I thought I would share these two new best friends with you. This is the pop-corn night I was telling you about. Abbie was trying so hard to be careful taking the pop-corn from Noah.



Abbie lets Noah crawl all over her and pull on her ears and even practice his karate on her.

Noah tries so hard to throw the ball for her, but most the time she gets it before he has a chance to let go of it.

Abbie has been a great addition to our family, (even though she is a bed hog). *wink* I'll try to get pictures next time we go to the water park of her "biting" the water and playing in the stream. She is a hoot.

Oh! we took her off her leash at a company picnic and she did great.

Greg taught her to dance with him.


Update 8-02-09

I've been struggling with whether or not to share this update, but I know that you all share in my joys and sorrows, so ... here is more to Abbie's story.

Abbie's family returned her to PAWS. They were struggling with her in a few areas, one of which was a chewing problem that she had (she liked to steal shoes apparently), and another being that they found that she has a hormone deficiency which causes her to be incontinent when she sleeps.
The incontinence is fixed with a hormone replacement pill, but that is not something that they were willing to take on.

Unfortunately, I no longer work for PAWS, so when Abbie was returned to them, I was not a possible foster home for her. I don't have any updates on her after her return, but I hope that she finds a great home soon. She is such an incredible dog, and I love her dearly. It breaks my heart that it didn't work out with her family, but I understand that sometimes it just doesn't go like we want it to, and we have to pick ourselves up and keep on keeping on.


UPDATE 8-12-09

Abbie was accepted at HWAC in California yesterday! YAY! That is SO fantastic! HWAC will find her a wonderful home.

No comments:

Post a Comment