Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Joey






June 17- July 2, 2009


Joey was a stray that had been taken to the shelter, then moved to the vet when he came down with Parvo. He has spent the last couple weeks at Doc's fighting the virus, and won!


He is a 5 month old Irish Setter with GORGEOUS eyes.
He got a bath right away (that was an adventure, let me tell ya. Took 2 of us to do it, and we were soaked clear through when we were done, lol!)


He is very sweet, and desperately wants to be loved.
I don't think he's had any training whatsoever, but he is young. He will learn.

update, 6-21-09
Joey is the MOST lovable, cuddly dog that we've had. He will crawl up on your lap and just melt into you.
He is learning SO fast. He is housebroken now, knows 'sit', and is taking treats softly and patiently waiting his turn. I'm amazed at how fast he is learning.

update 6-30-09
Poor Joey. This little guy has been through so much in his few short months of life.

He went into the vet for his vaccines and to be neutered, and came out with an Elizabethan collar and 17 staples holding him closed. He had
Cryptorchidism and what should have been a routine neutering turned into a 2 hour surgery.
The little guy is all disoriented, and lethargic. He cries, and it breaks my heart. I slept very little last night, hanging on his every sound.
He got some good pain meds, and they are helping him sleep a little better, and we take the collar off when one of us is sitting with him so he can be comfortable.
He should be able to get his staples out in 10-14 days.

Update 7-02-09
Joey was accepted at a Setter Rescue in Arizona. Lorraine is driving him there and we are just waiting for her phone call this morning to let me know she's on her way here to pick him up.

Gosh, I've grown so attached to Joey while he's been here. As happy as I am that he is going to the rescue, I wish that I could keep him till he recovers from his surgery. The mama in me wants to take care of him while he doesn't feel well, you know? I'm not ready for our home to be Joey-less. :(



*
He's on his way to the rescue.

It was awful... about 20 minutes before we had to take him to his transport, he was lying down and must have gotten a muscle spasm near his incision. He started freaking out, crying and spinning in circles.
Then he got all lethargic, threw up everywhere and just laid down, shaking.

He got another dose of pain meds to help for the travel, and we sent his bed with him, because he's comfortable in it.

I'm so glad that Lorraine is the one driving him. I completely trust her to put his comfort and well being ahead of anything else. But even then, I had a hard time letting him go. I wanted to sit with him and rub his ears and tell him that it was going to be ok.

Dang leaky eyes.



7-6-09
I got an E-mail today from Joey's new foster mom. He was taken to the emergency vet right when they got him because he was in so much pain, and they fixed him up. She said that he is doing MUCH better. It was so good to hear from her... I had been worried about him and hoping that he was doing ok.
She said that she'd send me updates on him, and I'll share here when I hear anything!


7-17-09
Got another E-mail today from Joey's foster mom. He's had his staples removed, and is doing great! She sent along a few pictures, and said I could share. Isn't he gorgeous?






No comments:

Post a Comment