Monday, May 17, 2010

Amos




5-17-10

Amos is a shelter rescue.
The first time that we tried to take him to the play yard from his kennel, he was so terrified. I've actually never in my life seen a dog as scared as he was. We couldn't get him to walk on his leash, and he fought against it so badly that we couldn't control him at all. He pooped all over out of fear, and snapped at me (not out of aggression, but out of terror).

We had a trainer come to the shelter to help us assess him, and when the trainer came, Amos had been at the shelter for about a week or so, and was doing a LOT better on leash, thanks to a couple very dedicated volunteers.
The trainer said that Amos had some anxiety (normal for an abandoned dog) and that his fear was definitely workable.

So we brought him home. :)
Underneath that anxiety, he is SUCH an awesome dog. He's got a great, loving personality, and it is there, just under the surface, waiting for the fear to go away.

He loves to play fetch, and when there's a toy involved, his fear is gone, and he is SO happy.

Look at this boy. He's so gorgeous, and really a great dog. I hope that we'll be able to make him confident in himself and his surroundings again, and be able to find him a home where he will be loved like he deserves.


5-21-10

Amos and I just went for a relaxing leisurely stroll around the neighborhood. I used a harness on him, so there was no pressure around his neck, and BINGO. That was the trick! He was the best dog on a leash that I have ever walked! Absolutely amazing.

I'm so happy for Amos that I'm sitting here blubbering like a baby. LOL.

The change in this dog between the first time we saw him at the shelter, and just now when he and I went for a lovely walk, is unbelievable. I can't even begin to describe it.

Right now, he's sitting with his head on my lap, comfortable and relaxed.
To think that he would have been killed at the shelter is unimaginable to me now. What an amazing dog this is.

6-1-10
Amos went to spend the long weekend with Paxton's family while we were gone on our road trip. He went there Thursday, and we just picked him back up today. It was SO good to see him, and he was happy to see us as well.
He settled right back in once we got home, and was so so happy to see the girls. LOL.
He's such a great dog.
I'm. In. Love.
He has completely captured my heart.

7-16-10

Amos has improved dramatically over the last month or so. We don't use the harness on him anymore, he walks perfectly with just his collar and leash.
He is doing better on tile floors, though he still has a bit of an issue there.
He will jump into the car now on his own. YAY!

He doesn't seem to have any issues at all at home now, though he'll still get a bit anxious when we are in new places with him. Working on that.

He's going to make someone SUCH a wonderful pet! I love him to pieces, but I can't wait for him to find his forever home!

9-11-10

And it finally happened. Amos went home.
It's been a long time coming, and it's the home that he's been waiting his whole life for. It's perfect for him.
He will be loved and understood, and allowed to adjust at his own pace.
Couldn't have asked for anything better for my Moski!

4-11

Unfortunately, sometimes what seems perfect, isn't.
But even bad things can end well. See the end of Amos' story HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I am in love with him, too! Is this where I challenge you to a duel at dawn?

    ReplyDelete